Why set up the Sanctuary Zone in California? There are many reasons, such as the ready access to services, infrastructure, and capital. However, perhaps the best reason is that if we can succeed in California — which is beset with seemingly intractable problems due to its historically-conservative leadership — we can succeed anywhere.
California needs the Sanctuary Zone, because California:
- has the lowest quality of life in the U.S.
- is among the worst states for working women based on objective factors
- is the 3rd least free state
- is ranked by actual CEOs as the worst state in which to do business
- has the nation’s highest rate of unsheltered homeless people
- has the highest poverty rate in the U.S.
- is the third least affordable state
- ranks 37th in public education
- has a literal poop crisis
- ranks 42nd among states in terms of best states for the middle class
- is the fourth worst state for income equality
- has the worst air quality in the nation
- imposes the fourth highest tax burden on its residents
- ranks 40th in healthcare accessibility
- is the third worst state for taxpayer return on investment
- is basically fiscally insolvent and bad for business
- ranks 49th in the 2019 State Business Tax Climate Index
Let’s get to work!